Tuesday 28 July 2015

Book Review : Simon Vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli

*SPOILER FREE - however the last part of the review will be spoiler packed*

Simon Vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda is a book about a closeted 16 year old boy in his Junior year of high school who emails another teenage boy  - that attends his school and is in his year, frequently discussing life and how they feel about different aspects of their sexuality.
I read this in less than a day - which is usually an indicator that this is an amazing story. Which it definitely is. 
This book made me very emotional! It was written well, you were able to connect with the characters that were crucial to the story and it had the right amount of humour at necessary times. 

I also loved the fact that Simon felt like a real teenager, in comparison to a lot of YA novels where the protagonist - who happens to also be a teenager, talks with an extreme level of maturity, using words that I have to google and doing things that are not only unconventional but unrealistic. 

After finishing the book, it did not go back on my shelf (I keep it near me at all times)...I keep re-reading my favourite parts over and over...I may re-read this book again in August, we'll see!
(Does anyone else do this with their books?)

*SPOILERS*
This book was brilliant with it's representation of more center characters of colour and religion, as well as it's representation of LGBTQ.

An example of this is shown through his best friend Nick who is Jewish, as well as Bram and Abby being black and Simon not having a religion but still respecting his friends and their beliefs. Usually the girl that is viewed s 'pretty' in novels, TV shows and movies is hardly ever a person that is Black, or Asian etc. which I think needs to stop, because if different backgrounds are represented constantly
in one way, it gives off the message to people that this is the new normal and a fixed way of viewing the world.

Simon being an atheist was interesting, because often they are portrayed as cynical and occasionally disrespectful, when in reality they are exactly like everyone else it's just a question of how you are as a person. You could be any religion and still choose to discriminate against others.

The LGBTQ theme is presented through out due to the protagonist being gay, the mention of Martin's brother being gay and Bram who is also gay and a central character. I loved the fact that Bram was used to present two misconceptions in society which is that gay guys can't be sporty as well as the fact that he is black - which from what I have seen is an uncommon representation of LGBTQ (when in reality, it is so common to find a gay person from every race.)

*SPOILER SECTION OVER*

I gave this novel a rating of 5 stars! Because I thought is was that amazing, and I strongly recommend this to contemporary lovers or even those that don't normally read contemporary because I can guarantee you will love it! :-) (Unless you're a homophobe...then your loss!)


Stay tuned for another post soon! 
(Disclaimer: the images used in this post are not mine)
Yours Faithfully, 

~ She Who Writes

No comments:

Post a Comment